St Walburga’s Church
St. Walburga’s Church was built in 1862 by the Plowden family for their workers on the Plowden Estate. The Plowdens can trace their family back to Roger de Plowden who became a Crusader under Richard 1 and was knighted by him for his heroism at the siege of Acre 1191. The Plowden family live in Plowden Hall, about a mile away, and have kept their Catholic belief for a thousand years. In the nearby village of Lydbury North is the Anglican Church of St. Michael & All Angels. The north transept is called the” Plowden Chapel” for it was built by Roger de Plowden in gratitude to God for his escape from prison after the siege of Acre. Each year Mass is celebrated there in memory of the Plowden family and their contribution to the Catholic life of the area down the centuries.